Friday, November 11, 2011

My God Moment in Yams Farm Wharf

Have you ever felt God was talking to you through an event, or a person? Well this happened to me during my field service, and I would like to share about it.

 

I was extremely excited to get back to work after hurting myself. I rested my ankle all weekend, and I felt great! So I dove right into work first thing Monday morning. I was shoveling dirt. We did that a lot during this field service: moved dirt. It seemed simple enough but after a while of taking turns shoveling my ankle was crying out in pain. After trying to ignore it for a little while, I finally decided to go into the shade and have a rest. I sat down by the school and watched everyone else work. I felt defeated and that I was letting my team down. I hated it. Then this little girl came up to me. School was not in session, and I don’t think I had ever seen this girl before or after this moment.

 

She came and sat on my lap. She looked at me, and I asked what her name was: “Whaty na u nem?” She didn’t respond; instead, she looked down towards my legs and did something that really shocked me. She started gently wiping all the dirt from my legs (from shoveling). When she got to my scrapes she made sure she was extra careful – making sure it was really clean. She looked at my ankle all wrapped up, and she cleaned the dirt off of it and just laid her hand on it. She then moved up to my arms: slowly wiping away all the dirt from my arms. She took my hands and started to clean under my nails. One by one, my nails were cleaned. When she was done, she looked up at me and just looked into my eyes. If you could see the whole world in a pair of eyes, I believe it was hers: such innocence and tender care. Then came her sweet smile and a sudden pat on the head and she was gone.

 

As I sat there in a state of shock, I thought about Jesus washing the feet of the disciples. Someone who is innocent and pure taking the time and care to make those who serve him clean again. This girl was one whom I was serving. I was tired, weary, and dirty but she took care of me. She couldn’t have been more than 6 years old, but she carried gentleness in her that is unlike other children I’ve seen (in Yam’s Farm). This was my God moment during my 2 weeks off ship. I believe in those girls eyes, I saw Jesus taking care of me and telling me, it’s ok to sit and rest.

 

 

 


This message and any attachments may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure - Mercy Ships.

  ­­  

No comments:

Post a Comment