Sunday, November 6, 2011

Flying to Africa

Hello Everyone! Well, I’ve been in Africa for 2 ½ weeks – I can’t believe I can actually say that! It all seems surreal and I don’t know where to begin.

 

Flights

 

So we left on Wednesday morning around 8:30 for Tyler Airport. It’s about the size of GR airport which made security a breeze. For the next 30+ hours we jumped from airport to airport. Most of the flying in the US was choppy but I was very excited when we left Chicago. You see – our flighty path took us directly over Muskegon! My friends were excited to hear this and I was able to say one last goodbye to home. Everything was normal until we stopped in The Gambia, West Africa. You know you are not at home anymore when they flight attendants run down the aisles with bug bombs spraying insecticide before taking off. I’m sure it was extremely healthy to breathe!

 

Sierra Leone was…hectic. We arrived an hour early but it took us at least an hour and a half to get to the “poda-podas” (vans). You should have seen how many bags they put on top of that van! My first thought of Sierra Leone was “Wow, it’s beautiful here!” My second thought, “Wow, I’ve never seen poverty like this before.” The ferry ride was chaotic but beautiful in the dark with only lights from Freetown looming in the distance. The docks were chaotic as well and my first glimpse of Freetown at night was very intimidating. I just wanted to get into the car and be done with traveling! But we weren’t. A quick drive to the ship first. My first look at the ship, I couldn’t believe I was actually here. My energy was boosted as I started to walk up the gangway. Energy that I desperately needed! A quick separation of our valuables (to leave onboard) and scarfing down a meal was all we were there for. I was amazed by how many people I knew and how many came to find me. Five minutes on board and it feels like home! We did a quick running around of the ship – I met my boss and the other writer, saw my office (size of a closet with 2 desks squeezed in it) and then we hurried up and left the ship. Hardest thing yet was to leave the ship.

 

We load up in our poda-podas and have an hour drive to Jui Junction – our home for the next two weeks. Let me explain how tired I was. If you take the worst two track/back road in Michigan and make it 100X worse – add to that riding in a van that has metal benches partial screwed to the ground and being able to see the road through the floor – and I STILL fell asleep on the way to our final destination! We arrive to a guarded place that is truly amazing for being in Sierra Leone. I am so thankful for the Hope Center run by GCPN!

 

Well, this is it! I arrived in Africa – and I can’t believe I am actually here!!

 

Right before I left – I broke my laptop. Please pray I able to figure out how to get a new one here in W. Africa. There are funds lined up for the computer but shipping it here is quite complicated!

 

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support!!


This message and any attachments may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure - Mercy Ships.

  ­­  

No comments:

Post a Comment