Friday, February 10, 2012

Meet Radia!



I want to introduce you to Radia. I’ve mentioned her a couple times in my blog and my facebook status updates. Now I want to take you on a picture journey of my trip to visit her at her home on Tuesday February 7, 2012.

I met Radia at our surgical screening on February 1, 2012. She was shy and cautious of her surroundings. She is 15 years old with a large facial tumor. Her beauty blew me away as I looked at her trying to hide herself. I knelt beside her and told her “I want you to know that you are not alone. We will be here through out this entire process. You will never be alone – and soon everyone will see just how beautiful you are.” Tears streamed down her face as I told her she would not be alone. Little did I know at the time that she was an orphan whose father died only a month prior. 

It was decided that we would follow Radia’s story very closely. We scheduled a visit to her home two days before she was to report to the ship for surgery. This is my account of Tuesday’s home visit.


Being the only driver in the team making this trip, I was behind the wheel for the 1 1/4 hour drive to Radia's home. 

I know I haven't shown many photos of what the area looks like, so here is a glimpse. 



 I was blessed to have our wonderful translator Emily with me! It's a good thing to because I don't speak Ewe!


We were greeted instantly, and were seated on some benches. We were surrounded by odds and ends of Radia's extended family. 


 

We had with us Emily our Translator, Josh our videographer, and JJ our photographer.

 Radia's extended family did most of the talking at first. Radia finds it hard to talk and she is extremely shy.


 Finally we were able to coax her out of the back. 


 Radia and her Great Aunt showed us their home. It consisted of one room with a mattress, a couch and a sink.


The Great Aunt (Radia's caregiver) was very excited to show us her home. 


There was not enough room inside for all of us so I was listening from the window. 


When we went outside, a few of the neighbors had shown up to give Radia a little bit of money because they felt bad for her. Early in the day, several people came from "far away" to gawk at her and make fun of her.


Radia was showing us her chores, housework and getting water. In this picture she is taking us to their well.


Radia, Emily, and myself are talking by the well. Radia saw a picture of herself in my notes and was asking about it. 


This is me telling Radia that soon everyone will see the beautiful girl I see. I was reminding her that she will not be alone and telling her that we will be there for her. As you can see, it really touched her.


Radia, sad that we are leaving.


Radia was very touched by our visit and how we treated her...like a human being and a child of God. She was visible sad when we left her village. 

Later on, another part of our team when to pick Radia up to bring her to the ship. I am told that she continually asked where I was, when we came to the docks, she was looking for me right away. God has given us a special connection and I pray that I am able to show His love to her and her family. Her Great Aunt told me last night, "The way you love us, we can tell you care about us, I don't know how to thank you and I pray God blesses you and my family back home." I was able to visit with Radia in the ward and I gave her my numbers. I was even able to pray with her! She was visible excited to get "her new face" that he bed was shaking from her constant movement. 

Radia is in surgery right now - please pray for her!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see the change in Radia's life. She truly is beautiful and I hope and pray that she will see how God as always seen her and taken care of her and she comes to trust and believe in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear God, I want to stop and pray for this girl. I pray that you will bring her out of this okay and that you will help her in her healing process. Dear God I pray that when the doctor begins to do his job you will take over. That you will guide his hands. In your Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

    ReplyDelete