Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A CALL TO PRAYER

This was a recent prayer request - As soon as I receive photos I will update my blog: Radia being greeted by her family after surgery!

I know this is long – but I have a huge prayer request!

Meet Radiatou (Radia for short)! She is a 15 year old girl with a large facial tumor. I’ve embedded photos at the end of the email, just a warning they may be a little disturbing.  I met Radia at the mass medical screening. Radia has become a very special girl to me and I spend every day with her. Her story is heart wrenching. I will give you a brief synopsis.

Radia’s mother abandoned her when she was little; her father then became her caregiver. She started to develop this tumor 5 years ago and has not be able to go to school because of it. To this day people mock her and beat her.

I went and visited her at home before she came for surgery and just before we arrived, people from ‘far away” came just to gawk at her. Her story has unfolded slowly as we found out that in 2010 she heard about Mercy Ships too late and when she arrived to the port the ship was already gone. She started to feel very depressed but her father always got her through it. A month ago her father died. Distraught about losing her father, and only caregiver Radia attempted to kill herself. Her Great Aunt stopped her and is now taking care of her. The next day she heard about Mercy Ships! It is amazing what tomorrow may bring.

When I met Radia, I told her that she will not go through this alone, that I will be there with her every step of the way. I had no idea of her past month of loss and attempted suicide. Needless to say, she started crying and gave a sweet smile. There have been many moments of tears when I tell her about how beautiful she is and how she is not alone.

If you want to know more about my visit to Radia’s home – check out the story and photos at: http://mightykaleo.blogspot.com/

Please pray for Radia. She had surgery Friday, February 10th. She spent the weekend in the ICU because of how much blood she lost during the surgery (which I was there for part of the surgery!). When I went to visit her the next day, she was in ICU but instantly grabbed for my hand. Yesterday, she started clapping when I entered the ward and got up from her bed and gave me a hug.

Please pray that the Lord will truly work in her heart and mind. She is what I call a generational Muslim. Her great Aunt says, “We see the way you love us, it is different than anything we have seen before! You treat us like we are your own.”

-I am fervently praying that the Lord transform them with the Holy Spirit! They are so close and are asking questions.

Can I call on all my prayer partners to lift Radia and her Great Aunt up in prayer? If we can all lift them up, anything can happen! We can all have a part to play in her total transformation! Just think, one day you may meet her in Heaven!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Nicole, for sharing your story with all of us. Thank you for allowing God to work through you to spread His love to others. I cried as I read Radia's story. I have never heard of Mercy Ship before reading this and am now determined to get involved somehow, with prayer, financial support, however I am able to do so.

    I am anxious to hear how Radia is doing. I pray for her and her great aunt that through you and others, they do have a total transformation. I look forward to meeting you and both of them in Heaven one day!!

    ReplyDelete