Thursday, February 2, 2012

Screening Day and the Reality of Togo


There are times when, even as a writer, it is hard to find words to explain an experience. There are moments when words fail me, when words only blur the reality of experiences.

Today I am going to tell you the truth. The mass medical screening went extremely well and smooth. We were able to schedule surgery for hundreds of people. They received their first sign of hope and it is beautiful.

This IS the truth…but it is not the only truth. There is a truth that many find it hard to speak of – they want to focus on the positive outlook. But I can’t bring you only the happy truth, I promised you I would bring you along with me on this journey – so I feel a need to tell the truth, the whole truth – so you know the reality in Togo – so you know how to pray.

HERE IS OTHER TRUTH

Screening day is a heartbreaking day. You see the effect of little healthcare. I was faced with an endless line of people frantic for my help. Every one of them looks at me, their eyes screaming in desperation.  I was faced with sights that are hard to explain.

-     A small child with hydrocephelis (water on the brain) whose head was 4x larger than normal. His body emaciated and paralyzed. The only movement is from his eyes. He looks me straight in the eyes – does he even see me through his pain? Is he beyond pain? As they leave I have to remind myself, we can’t help everyone.  Where is God in this?

-     Another moment broke my heart as a mother brought her 6 month old child up to me. As she gave me her baby, he weighed all of 2 pounds at 6 months old. I've seen pictures of starving children in Africa but this is the first time I've seen a child so emaciated I thought he was fake. As I stared down at him he struggled to breathe, his eyes moved and I knew he was still alive. The child had already been treated in local hospitals and was sent home to die. After a long time in consultation with the dietician, they are lead away. As they leave I have to remind myself, we can’t help everyone. Where is God in this?

Where is God in this? Where is God in all of this suffering? These are honest questions asked with an honest heart. An answer is given.

Where is God in this? God is in me, and through me He can do His mighty work. Where is God in this? He is in the crewmember next to me making the children laugh in the midst of suffering and pain. Where is God in this? God is in the people working at the prayer tree who prayed with those people who were sadly turned away.

God is in me, and He has sent me here to Togo, West Africa to be His hands and feet. I can’t help everyone but I can help some. 

-     I can help Radia, a 17 year old who has a large facial tumor. I kneel down next to her and tell her that I am going to be with her through her time with Mercy Ships. I tell her she will not be alone, she has nothing to fear. I touch her knee and look her straight in her good eye – I unflinchingly tell her I am here for her. That is not me, that is God reaching out through me touching a life full of suffering, pain, and rejection. That is God giving Radia the first sign of hope and I will be here with her, showing her His love, and His mercy. 

God is here, because I am here. God is here because others are here – serving Him and the people of Togo. God is here, because God is everywhere, despite the pain and suffering – He is here holding them, crying for them…

That is the truth of Togo. We are able to bring hope and healing. We are able to helping hundreds, even thousands, of people. But at the end of the day, Togo is in need, desperate need and we need to pray for her people. That is the reality of Togo.


1 comment:

  1. this is a great story about the truth! Keep touching lives and be willing to look into their eyes and bring hope. And keep seeking the Truth!

    ReplyDelete