Saturday, September 29, 2012

A little dose of Sunshine

Everyone needs a little bit of sunshine in their life. While I was home this summer, I purchased a solar flower to put in my window at work. It’s very simple – when it is sunny, the leaves and flower move back and forth. When you see this flower moving you can’t help but smile and wonder about the little thing dancing in the sun.

On numerous occasions, people who walk in my office notice the dancing flower and ask where I got it from. As they stare at it, they can’t help but smile and it brings a little bit of joy to everyone who sees it.

The other day, a man was hanging outside my window painting the ship. He is a day worker who lives here in Guinea and comes to the ship to help us maintain the ship. As I looked at him sitting on a plank of wood outside my window, I noticed he was smiling. I followed his gaze and he was staring at the little moving flower. I waved at him, but he was so focused on this little flower he didn’t notice me waving at him.

It was such a bright moment of my day realizing that this flower was spreading joy even off the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment