Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An Incredible Week


How can I find the words to tell you how incredible last week was? The training, the new friends, the “aha” moments, my new department welcoming me with open arms (and cobbler)…I guess the best place to start with whatever comes to mind first. 

The People:

Mercy Ships is an international organization. This week I caught a glimpse of what ship life will be like. There were people from seven different countries participating in training. Margot and Toni, who are two amazing Aussies, greeted me but before I knew it, people from Switzerland, Canada, Germany, Korea, and South Africa were becoming my friends. We were a mish-mash of cultural differences brought together by one common desire: to help the world’s forgotten poor. With this mutual goal in common, the cultural barriers were nearly invisible as we joined as a team. Within a few days, I felt friendships forming with that one common goal binding us together. It was difficult for me, knowing that I would be leaving in only a few days, while my new friends would be heading off to the Africa Mercy. I realized this is a struggle I will know intimately in Africa: the ever-rotating staff and finding peace in the weekly goodbyes. I will need to make a constant effort to not close myself off from the short-term crew. They can take it personally, when the reality is I fear the pain of saying goodbye. Africa will change me, but so will the crew of Mercy Ships. 

The Training: 

Training was overwhelming, enlightening, and encouraging. We walked through subjects such as Mercy Ships History, vision, mission, Shipboard living, programs, transitions, living in a community, and a fundraising seminar. They did their best to prepare us for what we will face in Africa and living on the ship. Daily, we had to share an “aha” moment; something said that stuck with us. For example, one day my aha moment was about the energy needed to do ministry in Africa. If you live on land in Africa while conducting ministry, 80% of your energy is spent in merely surviving and only 20% of your energy can be given to your ministry. With Mercy Ships, because the ship is a reprieve from the third World society I will only need about 20% of my energy for surviving and 80% can go into my ministry. I was extremely impressed with the transparency of the organization, telling us the difficulties of living on the Africa Mercy…no sugar coating…no begging to join them…telling us they completely understand if we decide not to go. In the end, I found myself yearning to go even sooner. Waiting to begin the next stage of my life is a hard concept for me. When I hear God’s voice calling me, I jump headfirst. I am grateful, though, for the three months I have left to finish preparing. 

The Marketing Department

As many of you know, I am a writer with the organization. My position is in the Marketing/PR department. The department at the IOC overwhelmingly welcomed me. It seemed like every day someone was seeking me out to meet me, to encourage me, to tell me how excited they are that I am a part of their team. On Friday, they all gathered to meet me while eating some wonderful cobbler. I was even given a handmade/designed notebook as a welcoming gift. In the back, they all wrote a paragraph of encouragement, welcoming me aboard, and telling me that they have my back. It was so foreign to me. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so welcomed, loved, accepted, and wanted. Here I am a person they are just meeting and they are rallying around me in support. I smile thinking about it, knowing that this is how we are meant to treat each other. 

Needless to say – I am extremely excited to be going back in September. I am also excited to share with you some of my “aha” moments over the next few weeks. After July 4th, my schedule is slowing down a great deal. I would love to spend time with everyone before the end of August!

1 comment:

  1. It sure sounds like an awesome week! I'm a little jealous to be watching from the outside.

    ReplyDelete